Skip to main content

The Importance of Knowing Your Learning Style


By Shreya Deo

Learning types. In elementary school, we were once given a 30 minute interactive lesson with the counselor where 4 different learning types were introduced- auditory learners, visual learners, kinesthetic learners, and traditional learners. But was a 30 minute session really enough to explore this topic that could have potentially made class a little easier? The answer is no. Thats why today on Student Side Up, I want to talk to you about the importance of knowing your learning type, and how you can use it to your advantage.

Why is knowing your learning type important?

Knowing your learning type is crucial to being successful in your classes. Students tend to identify their learning type in middle school and even early high school. I personally started to pay more attention to it in 8th grade, but it really depends on your overall study habits as well. Learning types, for starters, will help you identify which learning method proves to be the most beneficial for you. In the following paragraphs, I will provide descriptions and help you identify your learning type. However, using this to your advantage is solely up to you. If you aren't seeing results with one style, try another until you find one that suits you.

Auditory learners

Auditory learners are people that learn best with auditory aids. Listening to a live demonstration of a topic,  listening to podcasts, or anything that requires listening. These people tend to have excellent speaking and listening skills, and find lectures more useful than reading or writing notes. 

If you identify with any of these characteristics, you are most likely an auditory learner. The next steps you should take are finding studying methods that compliment auditory learners. I believe Google Docs has a feature where you could convert your notes to an audio recording. You could also act like you are teaching a topic to a little kid, which exercises your speaking skills and helps in information retention.

Visual learners

Visual learners are people that learn best with visual aids, such as presentations, drawings, and diagrams. Usually, students that doodle on their notes, maintain a planner, or draw diagrams related to the topic. These students tend to learn better through sight than any other sense.

I have a couple techniques for achieving mastery through visual learning, as I myself identify as half visual learner. I tend to draw tons of diagrams in science subjects and in math, I make sure I use all the space provided per question to make sure everything I have thought about is in front of my eyes. This includes writing reminders, equations, making shapes, and anything else related to the problem. 

Kinesthetic learners

Kinesthetic learners are people that learn best when given the opportunity to do something hands on. This can mean constructing a new project, engaging in lab work and activities, and moving around the classroom to achieve a task. 

Some study techniques for kinesthetics can be making hands on displays for class topics, or maybe even investing in a small whiteboard on which you can design your own custom "lesson plans" based on what you learnt in school.

Traditional/reading-writing learners

Traditional learners tend to learn best through writing notes or reading notes material. Often called traditional learners because the education system in most countries revolves around this. Traditional learners learn best when given time to extensively read and interpret the material or write and take detailed notes on a topic.
I identify as a visual-traditional learner, so while sometimes visual techniques work, sometimes they don't. Thats when I use heavy repetition techniques through this learning style. Once I sit to complete homework, I take out the notes I took in class and re-write them, but in a shorter format. I do this a couple times leading up to the test, that way, I have both detailed, long notes, and short, condensed notes.

Conclusion

Your learning type is not a concrete set of learning methods you have to work by, but is definitely useful to identify early on in your schooling. Learning types help you identify methods that work best for you and techniques that compliment the way your brain already works. If you have always been into writing, chances are, maybe kinesthetic or auditory learning techniques don't work for you. Or, maybe you take a bit of each learning type and incorporate it into your study session. Whatever the way, you should always do what methods work best for you. I hope you were able to find some clarity through this blog, and keep following for more tips!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Positive Pondering

  By Dhwani Desai There are two types of people in the world- pessimists and optimists. Pessimists think negatively, always anticipating the bad, while optimists think positively, of the good to come. I, myself, am a pessimist, but often, optimistic thinking overtakes the gloominess,  and it honestly makes my existence in this world a little more tolerable. Of course, no scientific theory states that being positive is beneficial, but I like to think that you often manifest  what you believe. Science Fair Plant Experiment I’m sure you’ve heard of the experiment where two plants are in the same environment and given the same amount of water, but one is praised while the other is scolded and reprimanded. Upon doing some research, it’s actually the vibrations of negative words that affect the plants badly. To sum it up, bad words have bad vibrations that cause the plant to wilt, whereas good words have good vibrations that cause the plant to prosper. I think positivity is a lot like this i

Subject Series- How to Effectively Study for Science

  By Shreya Deo Science. You either love it or you hate it, am I right? But knowing how to effectively study serves as the bridge to connect what you have to do and what you want to do. Just reading a chapter, watching an Amoeba Sisters video, or listening to your teacher explain it to you are very important building blocks to gain an introductory level of understanding of the topic, but are often the most boring to students today. We are often distracted by external factors and don't get work done. To tackle this, I have come up with a few techniques that I use solely for science (in my case, biology) to master the subject and score well on tests. Mindset Mindset is key to mastering a subject, whether it be science, math, social studies, or the arts. We never start of perfect at a subject. There is always a graph that everyone goes through. We start of average, then we suddenly dip for what seems like the longest time, and then, for the few of us that get back out of it, we start

Embracing Your Culture- How to Develop a Sense of Belonging

By Shreya Deo  Today's topic is slightly different than what we have discussed in the past few articles. Usually, we talk about study tips to make student life a bit easier, but today, I wanted to talk about something that I consider an integral part of life- embracing your culture. You may think that this has nothing to do with study tips or tricks to make school easier, but somewhere, it links with your mental state and how you perceive the world around you. Religion, culture, nationality, ethnicity. These are the terms people use to identify themselves, however, do we really stay true to our values and teachings? Or do we simply believe in something because we have to? Before I start today's article, I'd like to say that I am not at all religious or spiritual. I am also a teenager who has adapted to the modern world around me, just like the tons of other teens. However, the reason that I felt the need to write this article is because of the changes I have seen around me