Skip to main content

My Take On Controversial Topics

 

By Dhwani Desai

Controversy; a disagreement, typically when prolonged, public, or heated. There are thousands are thousands, maybe millions, of controversies that people can debate about for hours. Today, I thought it’d be fun to share my thoughts and opinions regarding different topics.

Topic 1: Should schools have uniforms?

My opinion on this is yes and no. I think after a certain age level, it should be fine to wear whatever you want. But to expose little children to jealousy because someone is wearing something prettier or more expensive than them is the reason, I think elementary and maybe middle school should have uniforms. I’m not saying older kids don’t have reason to be jealous. I know some people become upset, but it’s easier for older individuals to digest and deal with jealousy than younger individuals. I also believe that teenagers should have the right to freely dress and express themselves however they want.

Topic 2: Will artificial intelligence take over the world?

I think AIwill take over the world someday. Just, not anytime soon. Not in the next decade or century, but maybe the next millennium. Right now, there are a lot of improvements and advancements we can make in AI, but I feel that in the future they’re going to be more advanced and be able to think for themselves as a part of their program. One prime example of this is a really amazing video game called Detroit: Become Human by Quantic Dream. It’s set in 2038 but I don’t think we’re that advanced yet. I recommend watching a gameplay on YouTube or buying it yourself to play.

Topic 3: Social media

I amforsocial media. Of course, this again should be introduced at an older age because some content isn’t suitable for kids while other videos have mean comments and bad advice. Social media isn’t all about watching videos and immersing yourself. It’s also an effective way to communicate with friends. For example, discord or instagram or snapchat. I love discord the most. You can access it from a phone, tablet, or laptop and text like normal. This was a lifesaver for my friends and I because some of them didn’t have phones. There should be some limit to the amount of time spent on social media, because long amounts of time spent on it can cause depression among many other things. So, be social, but to a limit.

Topic 4: Is optimism beneficial or not?

I’ve addressed this in a previous blog post, but I always think optimism is SUPER beneficial. Both mentally and physically. It keeps you happy and healthy. Win – win. (If you haven’t checked it out, make sure to go read one of my previous blogs, ‘The Power of Positive Pondering.)

Topic 5: Equality vs equity

Equality refers to everyone being treated the same way, but sometimes that doesn’t work out. For example, while picking apples, equality means everyone gets one stool to reach the apples on the high tree. Equity, or fairness, means giving them enough stools to accommodate their height in reaching the tree. Another example would be different bike sizes. If everyone had a big one, children wouldn’t be able to reach the pedals, but it’d be perfect for tall people. On the other hand, equity would be if everyone had a bike size appropriate for their height. This is why I think equity is better and fairer than equality.

Conclusion

There are so many other topics that are debatable and if you want to know my opinions on anything else, let me know in the comments and I might address them in a future post. If you disagree with any of my thoughts, tell me what you believe it should be, I’d love to know all your thoughts on these topics. See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Positive Pondering

  By Dhwani Desai There are two types of people in the world- pessimists and optimists. Pessimists think negatively, always anticipating the bad, while optimists think positively, of the good to come. I, myself, am a pessimist, but often, optimistic thinking overtakes the gloominess,  and it honestly makes my existence in this world a little more tolerable. Of course, no scientific theory states that being positive is beneficial, but I like to think that you often manifest  what you believe. Science Fair Plant Experiment I’m sure you’ve heard of the experiment where two plants are in the same environment and given the same amount of water, but one is praised while the other is scolded and reprimanded. Upon doing some research, it’s actually the vibrations of negative words that affect the plants badly. To sum it up, bad words have bad vibrations that cause the plant to wilt, whereas good words have good vibrations that cause the plant to prosper. I think positivity is a lot like this i

Subject Series- How to Effectively Study for Science

  By Shreya Deo Science. You either love it or you hate it, am I right? But knowing how to effectively study serves as the bridge to connect what you have to do and what you want to do. Just reading a chapter, watching an Amoeba Sisters video, or listening to your teacher explain it to you are very important building blocks to gain an introductory level of understanding of the topic, but are often the most boring to students today. We are often distracted by external factors and don't get work done. To tackle this, I have come up with a few techniques that I use solely for science (in my case, biology) to master the subject and score well on tests. Mindset Mindset is key to mastering a subject, whether it be science, math, social studies, or the arts. We never start of perfect at a subject. There is always a graph that everyone goes through. We start of average, then we suddenly dip for what seems like the longest time, and then, for the few of us that get back out of it, we start

Embracing Your Culture- How to Develop a Sense of Belonging

By Shreya Deo  Today's topic is slightly different than what we have discussed in the past few articles. Usually, we talk about study tips to make student life a bit easier, but today, I wanted to talk about something that I consider an integral part of life- embracing your culture. You may think that this has nothing to do with study tips or tricks to make school easier, but somewhere, it links with your mental state and how you perceive the world around you. Religion, culture, nationality, ethnicity. These are the terms people use to identify themselves, however, do we really stay true to our values and teachings? Or do we simply believe in something because we have to? Before I start today's article, I'd like to say that I am not at all religious or spiritual. I am also a teenager who has adapted to the modern world around me, just like the tons of other teens. However, the reason that I felt the need to write this article is because of the changes I have seen around me